When you make Cauliflower Dirty Rice, you make it with ground sausage, Cajun seasoning, and a lot of celery, bell pepper, and onion as well as riced cauliflower in it. In less than 30 minutes, this is one of the best cauliflower rice recipes.
WHAT IS DIRTY RICE?
Dirty rice is a traditional Creole dish that starts with long-grain white rice and is made “dirty” by adding ground beef or sausage, the holy trinity of onion, bell pepper, and celery, and Creole or Cajun seasonings.
Ingredients To Make Dirty Rice :
The ingredients for this cauliflower dirty rice recipe are readily available at your local supermarket:
- Celery, onion, and green bell pepper are the holy trinity of taste in this cauliflower rice dish!
- Blackened seasoning or Cajun seasoning: You can either make your own homemade blackened seasoning or purchase Cajun seasoning at your local grocery store, depending on your preference.
- Ground sausage and turkey: Substitute ground beef or chicken for the turkey, but don’t forget the ground sausage. The ground sausage provides a degree of taste that is difficult to replicate.
- Cauliflower rice: I recommend getting the riced cauliflower from your local grocery shop to save time. This may be found in the frozen foods aisle or in the refrigerated produce section.
HOW TO COOK CAULIFLOWER DIRTY RICE :
- Fry your ground turkey and sausage until fully cooked. Drain the meat on a paper towel-lined plate after chopping it with a potato masher or fork.
- Next, add the oil, celery, bell pepper, and onion to the skillet or Dutch oven. Sauté the vegetables until they are soft. In a pan, add crushed garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add cauliflower rice, seasonings, and more oil. You should give it a good stir before you put a lid on the skillet or Dutch oven and cook it for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy your cauliflower dirty rice with fresh parsley!
SERVE, STORE, AND REHEAT NOTE :
- For a pop of color and extra flavor, top this dirty cauliflower rice with fresh parsley or green onions and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Allow the cauliflower dirty rice to come to room temperature before placing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The recipe will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezing Dirty Cauliflower Rice: Refrigerate this recipe as directed above, then transfer it to the freezer once it has reached refrigerator temperature. Cauliflower rice can be frozen for up to six months.
- Although this recipe can be microwaved, I prefer to reheat it in the skillet with a little olive oil. 4–5 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
CAULIFLOWER DIRTY RICE
- ½ lb. ground turkey 93/7
- ½ lb. ground sausage mild
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet onion small, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp blackened seasoning or Cajun seasoning
- 16 OZ cauliflower rice
- ¾ salt
- In a large skillet, cook ground turkey and sausage for 6-7 minutes, or until cooked through, over medium heat. Using a potato masher or a fork, crumble the meat. Drain the ground meat on a paper towel-lined plate after removing it from the skillet.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and celery in a skillet Sauté for 5-6 minutes over medium heat, or until vegetables are tender. Continue to sauté for 1 minute after adding the crushed garlic.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in the remaining oil, riced cauliflower, seasoning, salt, and red pepper flakes, as well as the meat. Stir until everything is well combined, then cover and cook for 7-8 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Serve with chopped parsley and more red pepper flakes on top of the cauliflower dirty rice. Enjoy!
- For the cauliflower to have a texture like rice, it needs to be pulsed or grated into small pieces about the size of rice grains. This will help the dish have the same feel as traditional rice.
- Before adding the cauliflower rice, sautéing the vegetables brings out their flavors and makes sure they are fully cooked.
- Change the amount of spices to suit your taste. If you want a dish with more heat, you can add more cayenne pepper or other hot spices. On the other hand, if you want a milder taste, cut back on or leave out the cayenne pepper.
- You can make the recipe your own by adding more vegetables or protein sources. You can make the dish even better by adding diced tomatoes, corn kernels, or cooked beans. You can add cooked chicken, shrimp, or tofu to the dish to add protein.
- Be aware of how long the cauliflower rice needs to cook. It tastes best when it is soft but still has a little crunch. If you cook something too long, it may get mushy.
- If you are using frozen cauliflower rice, make sure to let it thaw completely and drain any extra water before using it in the recipe. This will keep the dish from turning into a soup.
- Add fresh herbs, like parsley or cilantro, to the cauliflower dirty rice to make it look more fresh and appealing.
- Leftovers can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days in a container that keeps air out. Before serving, heat the dish all the way through.
- This recipe gives you a place to start. Feel free to try cauliflower dirty rice with different spices, vegetables, and proteins to make your own unique versions.
- You can eat this dish as a main course, a side dish, or even as a tasty base for bowls or wraps.
Is Cauliflower Dirty Rice gluten-free?
Cauliflower dirty rice is naturally gluten-free because it doesn’t have any wheat or other ingredients that contain gluten. But it’s important to double-check the spices and seasonings you use because some brands may contain gluten. Make sure the dish doesn’t have gluten by always reading the labels or using gluten-free alternatives.
Can I freeze this recipe?
Yes, you can freeze cauliflower dirty rice for later use. Let the dish cool completely, then put it in containers or freezer bags that won’t let air in. It can last up to 3 months in the freezer. To warm it up again, let it thaw overnight in the fridge and then heat it slowly in a skillet or microwave until it’s warm all the way through.
Can I use frozen cauliflower rice?
Yes, frozen cauliflower rice is a good way to save time. Follow the directions on the package to thaw the frozen cauliflower rice, and then use it in the recipe as written. Keep in mind that frozen cauliflower rice may release more water, so you may need to change the cooking time.
Inspired BY: Evolving Table